Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?

Page 11 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?

Post by Will*O*Wisp on Wed Feb 08 2017, 16:18

Pnp - Hope things get better with your computer soon. bear hug

Tookie - I see Pete has mentioned almond flour.  I had intended to send another post with almond flour recipes, but we had a terrible thunderstorm front move in and we lost power.  I have made cookies with almond flour and had good results, so I can't wait to try the pasta myself.

Homemade Almond Flour Pasta

Prep time
30 mins
Cook time
1 min
Total time
31 mins

Author: Joy @ The Joyful Foodie
Recipe type: pasta, gluten free, grain free
Serves: about 4 servings
Ingredients

• 2 cups almond flour
  • 2 cups tapioca starch
  • 2 Tbs + 2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 3 eggs, large
  • 1 tsp sea salt

Instructions

1. Place the almond flour, tapioca starch and xantham gum in a bowl and whisk to combine.
  2. In a bowl or large work area, mound two cups of the flour mixture and create a well in the middle.
  3. Add the salt and crack the eggs into the well.
  4. Using a fork or your fingers gently beat the eggs, slowly incorporating flour into the eggs until all of it is combined or until the dough can be kneaded by hand.
  5. Knead dough until it is smooth and elastic. The dough should be pliable but not too sticky. If dough is sticky, add flour a little at a time, kneading until smooth.
  6. Roll the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and allow to rest for about 30 minutes.
  7. Divide the dough into four equal pieces and use your hands to shape each piece into a rectangle about a quarter of an inch thick.
  8. Send the first piece through the pasta roller at setting 1.
  9. Fold the piece in half and send through again. Repeat one or two more times until the dough feeds through smoothly, dusting with tapioca starch to keep it from sticking.
  10. Change to setting 2 and feed the dough through. Repeat until you get to your desired thinness (I like setting 3, some prefer setting 4). As you go, dust the pasta sheets with a bit of the flour mixture or tapioca starch to keep the sheets from sticking.
  11. Repeat for each of the remaining three pieces of dough.
  12. Switch to a pasta cutter and feed each piece through or slice each sheet into pasta strands with a knife.
  13. Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
  14. Drop in pasta strands and cook for 60 seconds while stirring.
  15. Remove pasta from water and toss with olive oil.
  16. Serve with sauce or toppings of choice.

Grain free Pasta
Serves
Prep time20 minutes
Cook time3 minutes
Total time23 minutes
AllergyEgg, [url=http://www.getmecooking.com/recipes?allergy=Tree nuts&username=GlutenFreeYummy]Tree Nuts[/url]
DietaryDairy-free, Gluten-free, Paleo
Meal type[url=http://www.getmecooking.com/recipes?course=Main dish&username=GlutenFreeYummy]Main Dish[/url]

Ingredients

• 1 cup Almond Flour (extra-fine)
  • 1 cup Tapioca Starch
  • 1 cup Arrowroot Flour (2/3 for noodles, 1/3 for rolling dough)
  • 2 Large Eggs (cage-free)
  • 4 Large Egg Yokes (cage-free)
  • 2 teaspoons Sea Salt
  • 2 tablespoons Olive Oil (for cooking pasta)

Note

If you do not have arrowroot flour, substitute tapioca starch in its place.

Directions

Step 1
Place a medium saucepan full of water on the stove. Add the olive oil (to prevent pasta from sticking) and bring to a boil.
Step 2
Place all dry ingredients (only 2/3 cup of arrowroot) in a large bowl and stir about 2 minutes by hand to fully blend all the dry ingredients.
Step 3
Make a crater in the center of the flour mix and add the eggs and egg yokes to the center. Whisk the eggs and slowly start pulling in the dry ingredients from the sides. Only partially combine the eggs and dry ingredients.
Step 4
Sprinkle the remaining 1/3 cup of arrowroot flour on a cutting board. Add pasta mixture and begin kneading the dough. Knead the dough for about 4 minutes or until it is smooth. If your dough is too sticky add a little more almond flour. If your dough is too dry add a teaspoon of olive oil or water at a time until proper consistency is met. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Cover the remaining dough with plastic wrap while working with one section, so it won't dry out.
Step 5
If you have a pasta machine or pasta attachment, run the dough through once on a zero setting then cut the pasta on a linguini setting. If rolling by hand, roll out dough with a rolling pin until desired thickness about 1/8 to 1/16" thickness. cut individual strips with a pizza cutter.
Step 6
Drop noodles into boiling water and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Strain noodles and place desired topping on hot noodles. Serve immediately.

I added this recipe with coconut flour for dear Sleepy.  The low level of carbohydrates and high fiber content make coconut flour ideal for people with insulin resistance including those with diabetes, as it won't lead to spikes in blood sugar.

Pancakes

Coconut Flour Almond Meal Pancakes

Makes about 16 small pancakes

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/3 cup almond meal
  • 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
  • 4 organic eggs
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
  • 1/3 cup milk (raw cow's or coconut)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • A pinch of sea salt
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons organic, raw, and grass-fed butter, plus more for serving
  • Pure maple syrup to drizzle (optional)

Preparation

[list defaultattr=]
[*] In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients: the coconut flour, almond meal, baking powder, and salt.
[*]Slowly whisk in the wet ingredients: the eggs, coconut oil, milk, and vanilla. Mix until the batter is smooth. (If it feels a little dry, add more milk until it reaches the consistency you're after).
[*]Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the butter and allow it to melt, then add scoops of batter (about a ¼ cup each) for silver dollar pancakes. Cook for about a minute on each side until golden brown. Slather with butter and drizzle maple syrup as desired.
[/list]

Farm name: Will*O*Wisp    Forum name:  Willow

Will*O*Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Will*O*Wisp on Wed Feb 08 2017, 16:35

Also

Potato, Tapioca, Coconut Pasta 

ngredients
[list=blog-yumprint-ingredients]
[*]2 cups yukon gold potatoes - boiled, peeled and mashed
[*]½ cup tapioca flour
[*]1 tbsp coconut flour
[*]¼ tsp baking powder
[*]¼ tsp salt
[*]1 egg - beaten and frothy
[/list]
Instructions
[list=blog-yumprint-methods]
[*]Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
[*]Stir together all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Fold in the mashed potatoes and egg until well combined. It will form a dough-like consistency and should easily come together as a large ball.
[*]Place a third of the dough in a pastry bag or plastic bag and pipe onto a parchment lined baking sheet. The pan must be lined with parchment or the pasta will stick. (For spaetzle, I used a plastic bag and cut a small hole in the corner. Then I piped out small pieces to resemble the spaetzle shape.)
[*]If making spaetzle, bake for 5 minutes. For gnocchi, bake for 10 minutes. It will be slightly golden.
[/list]
Notes
[list=blog-yumprint-notes]
[*]For a meal, lightly sauté the pasta in your fat of choice then top with your favorite sauce.
[/list]

Cassava Pasta

serves two
INGREDIENTS
1 cup cassava flour (like Otto’s cassava flour)
2 eggs, plus 1 extra yolk
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
DIRECTIONS
Make a little mound of flour in the middle of a large cutting board.
Create a crater in the middle, just big enough to hold the eggs
(Make those walls high… those little buggers like to make escape routes!)

Add the salt and oil, right in with the eggs. Using a fork, begin whisking the eggs together, slowly forming a pasty dough as you drag in more and more flour with each whisk. Once a dough-like texture forms, start kneading with your hands.(If the dough is dry, try adding in a smidgen of water or an extra yolk- flour brands vary in texture, as do egg sizes).
  Knead and knead and knead, folding it into a ball… 
Wrap Saran around the dough, nice and tight, and refrigerate for 30 minutes or so.

Of course if you have a pasta-maker, you’ll follow some completely different step here,but by hand flour your surface and rolling pin, roll the dough out as thin as you can with the pin.
Get it as thin and even as you possibly can (unless you want thick noodles of course).
Using a pizza cutter works marvelously for making pasta! Guide it along a straight edge (like a cutting board) to make your pasta strips.  Pull apart gently.
To cook… Boil a pot salted water Add the pasta, cook for approx 2 1/2 minutes, depending on thickness, strain and enjoy!

Will*O*Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by agronomistPete on Thu Feb 09 2017, 04:57

@cylentlea123 wrote:Wow Pete, who knew you were such a wonder in the kichen
I'm impressed :)
farmer  uhhh, yep.
agronomistPete

Back to top Go down

Post by agronomistPete on Thu Feb 09 2017, 05:00

Willow - I like the gnocchi idea, gotta try that!
agronomistPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Will*O*Wisp on Thu Feb 09 2017, 15:33

Pete - Me too!  I love cooking, but always have too many recipes to try. Grin   I'm just getting going with gluten free cooking, so many recipes have yet to be vetted for taste and quality. 

While I have no apparent gluten problems, many of my friends do.  So I am working on adding gluten free to my skills, along with my favorite style - organic and non GMO.

Will*O*Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Tookie on Fri Feb 17 2017, 18:35

today: Snert, or [erwtensoep]. Dutch [pea soup] with sausage. 

Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by cylentlea123 on Fri Feb 17 2017, 21:40

mmmmm  I love pea soup!!!

cylentlea123

Back to top Go down

Post by GuineaUp on Sat Feb 18 2017, 00:01

My Mom always made huge pots of split pea soup with ham in it that simmered on the stove all day when I was a kid tasting  ... but yummmmm the sausage in yours looks/sounds really good @Tookiedrooling

GuineaUp

Back to top Go down

Post by mindy1701 on Sat Feb 18 2017, 00:21

Oh, Tookie - that looks so good.  I've really been wanting split pea soup for a few months now.  If I ever get another ham bone, it's soup time for sure.   hungry
mindy1701

Back to top Go down

Post by Tookie on Sat Feb 18 2017, 11:47

we just bought the pot...  belly laugh (when yr chronically ill, cooking is often a luxury, when it comes to energy expenditure) 

and the pack... 

Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by spotsbox on Mon Feb 20 2017, 05:29

Doin' easy tonight, making homemade sloppy joes and potato wedges. 
spotsbox

Back to top Go down

Post by GuineaUp on Mon Feb 20 2017, 06:11

I made beef stroganoff (had the beef simmering all day, smelling DEEEE-lish), and baby spinach. Nom nom nom drooling (sorry no pic, I'm too lazy lol)

GuineaUp

Back to top Go down

Post by puppiesnponies on Mon Feb 20 2017, 13:26

Sister came over with bacon and eggs she wanted to use so we had breakfast for dinner. She even made chocolate chip Belgian waffles. I had one waffle with strawberries on top with a dollop of whipped cream instead of syrup and 2 pieces of bacon. I don't like eggs but my meal hit all my happy spots.

puppiesnponies

Back to top Go down

Post by Tookie on Mon Feb 20 2017, 13:32

Sometimes, there's nothing better than breakfast for dinner, and dinner for breakfast. Or snacks.  drooling

Look for the little rays of sunshine! 
from me to you
Active Elvenar villages: Gaelyn Mae Sethai, Tookie
Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by spotsbox on Wed Feb 22 2017, 04:33

Nuts, in my house, we never know if it's breakfast, lunch or dinner time flubbelub .  Too many years of rotating work shifts, lol.  

Guinea, that's not my photo, lol.  Ask the Google and you shall receive. wink ghehe

Not sure what to make tonight, but last night I made sweet and sour boneless pork ribs in the crock pot. tasting   A lot of  and not much conversation during dinner, lol.  No leftovers, either.
spotsbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum