Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?  - Page 18 Empty Re: Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?

Post by GuineaUp Tue Nov 28 2017, 14:00

Rofl  pchaha
All the extra cocks in my flocks get eaten first lol, and any that have too much attitude/testosterone  giggle 

You know what they say about too many cocks cooks in the kitchen  belly laugh
GuineaUp
GuineaUp

Back to top Go down

Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?  - Page 18 Empty Re: Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?

Post by Tookie Tue Nov 28 2017, 20:29

belly laugh whahahaha
Tookie
Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by agronomistPete Wed Nov 29 2017, 03:55

GuineaUp wrote:Cooking can be it's own kind of therapy... which is why I do so much of it LOL. Plus something yummy simmering on the stove all day is just... comforting, calming.  calm
 Right after Thanksgiving turkey, I strip the carcass and make a strong stock and next day turn it into lentil soup, carrots, celery.. onions.  Back to back days of long, sloooow simmering .. and oh, the aromas !!

(are you turned on yet ?)
agronomistPete
agronomistPete

Back to top Go down

Post by agronomistPete Wed Nov 29 2017, 03:57

GuineaUp wrote:Rofl  pchaha
All the extra cocks in my flocks get eaten first lol, and any that have too much attitude/testosterone  giggle 

You know what they say about too many cocks cooks in the kitchen  belly laugh
.. um, are there membership dues to this flock thing ?
agronomistPete
agronomistPete

Back to top Go down

Post by cylentlea123 Wed Nov 29 2017, 04:10

haha   you 2 are too funny
cylentlea123
cylentlea123

Back to top Go down

Post by GuineaUp Wed Nov 29 2017, 13:18

agronomistPete wrote:
GuineaUp wrote:Cooking can be it's own kind of therapy... which is why I do so much of it LOL. Plus something yummy simmering on the stove all day is just... comforting, calming.  calm
 Right after Thanksgiving turkey, I strip the carcass and make a strong stock and next day turn it into lentil soup, carrots, celery.. onions.  Back to back days of long, sloooow simmering .. and oh, the aromas !!

(are you turned on yet ?)
I dunno yet... I'd have to see you in (nothin' but) an apron first, and then see how well you sloooow stir what's simmerin'  tasting   naughtynaughty
GuineaUp
GuineaUp

Back to top Go down

Post by Tookie Wed Nov 29 2017, 22:30

tistheseason
Made apple sauce today.
star colors
We had two bags of small sweet apples lying around that for some reason we suddenly stopped eating from. thinking

I hate wasting food. So, even though I never really did it before, I just made apple sauce. happy wave Peeled about 14 apples, diced them, and chucked them in the slow-cooker with 5 dashes of cinnamon, and a small cup of liquid, which was a splash of apple juice, and a bigger splash of pear juice. (the expensive biological clean ones with fruit only.)  tasting

Originally I wanted to add pineapple, and I opened a can, chucked it in and then hated the smell. I fished it back out, and rinsed the apple. ugh. never again, if it's not fresh. blegh

It cooked for about 8 hours I think, on low. I mashed it, added one table spoon of sugar about an hour or two before it was done and also two teaspoons of arrowroot to thicken it a little. Now it's in the fridge, i think we will enjoy it tomorrow.  drooling

hearts in row

The only thing that would have made it better for me, is, if I could have hadded those giant raisins I once had. (we chucked a pot, due to expired, boohoo, snif)
I think they would've welled up nicely in those apple-pear juices..... maybe a touch of ....something? port? wine toast don't know the English name. brandy perhaps? thing is... I never tasted all those alcohols cuz after a sip of beer, wine, and whiskey, I decided I hated all of em. (tried safari later, did like that, but... meh, still not a fan) so... I really don't know what touch of alcohol one would add to a christmassy apple-pie kind of applesauce. xmastree midi

any ideas? santa toast

----------------------------------------

There's one other thing. And know before: we're NOT asking for money, just sharing our journey. 

Now that we suddenly love making and eating SOUP.... I want to make more, and we immediately ran into a problem. Our freezer is dead but for dying.  We REALLY need a new one. However.... danggit hotdiggety, thát is expensive if you want something with a little bit of quality. 
The last one lasted for over 12 years, so, we don't really mind having to spend money on it, apart from the fact that even if we HAVE IT,...it HURTS to spend that much (up to 1000 euro's) on a freezer.  No! Why!

We have not ordered one yet, as we really can't afford such a big spend, just like that. We have all kinds of priorities in our lives, but cooking and eating healthy is extremely important for both of us, sleepy being a (applying to his sugars) manic depressive diabetic, and I am a bubbling and groaning and moaning Crohn's patient..... we both have a LOT of dietary requirements and until recently we had just given up. 

However....since we DID started cooking again, ....we now want to make 10 liter pans with soup, instead of 3. but where to leave it. 

Our freezer now is a vertical model with drawers. We hate the darn thing. NOTHING FITS. 
So, now we want the freezer chest, as we call it. 

Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?  - Page 18 GTP3656-21_schuin

THIS, .... is gonna take some serious thinking. and comparing. 

Still, we more and more ascribe to "if you buy quality, you only cry once".   losing money

Worth saving for. If we can. Of course we WILL.

instead of a drawer freezer with 184 liters of space, we'd go to 331 liters. 

but... ouch. my wallet is hiding from me at the moment...  losing money

----------------------------------------

flowerkiss
Tookie
Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by puppiesnponies Wed Nov 29 2017, 22:49

hungry drooling eating red smile

I don't like alcohol at all (the smell! the taste! shock faint blegh ) but what about apple cider?

I'm sure the cooks in our forum can give you better ideas but that's all I can think of.
puppiesnponies
puppiesnponies

Back to top Go down

Post by GuineaUp Thu Nov 30 2017, 01:07

I'm not much of an apple sauce fan, but I do make and can my own apple butter. Which is basically your apple sauce recipe with a couple extra ingredients (no actual butter!) slow cooked much much longer, then pureed smooth with a hand blender. You end up with thick, smooth, spreadable apple pie goodness perfect for toast, waffles, pancakes and even on icecream  drooling
Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?  - Page 18 Abjar10

I hope you guys get that freezer! You may want to add some brand of food saver system (vacuum sealing) to your list too tho. Buy or cook foods in bulk, vacuum seal it all up in bags of perfect portion sizes and freeze. Having something yummy and ready to thaw and heat or cook when you need it is SO convenient, plus NO wasted left overs! thumbs up
GuineaUp
GuineaUp

Back to top Go down

Post by GuineaUp Thu Nov 30 2017, 04:18

Tookie and MSB's yummy soup lit a fire under my hind end... and I made a big pot of
chicken-veggie-noodle-something-whatever soup today... lol. No recipe, I just winged it with whatever I had on hand (which isn't much, time to do a major grocery store run shopping ).
Finished product:
Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?  - Page 18 Chicke14

I so really need some homemade bread, rolls or biscuits to go with it... maybe tomorrow, hmmm cheddar garlic biscuits?  tasting
GuineaUp
GuineaUp

Back to top Go down

Post by mindy1701 Thu Nov 30 2017, 04:45

Yuuuummmmm - cheddar garlic anything     drooling

I just ordered some Taylor Street cheese sprinkle - can't wait to get it and make garlic bread.  I bought a variety of herbs, spices and blends from a place here in Chicago.  They make their own blends and I'm addicted to a couple of them.

It's supposed to get cold next week - time for a big pot of turkey chili.
mindy1701
mindy1701

Back to top Go down

Post by Tookie Thu Nov 30 2017, 13:01

We're making broth and soup again today! 
Changed the recipe quite a bit, (more ACV, fried onions+garlic instead of unfried, more chives, etc) 

Again, it smells soooo good!!! The smell alone feels healing.  cooking healingFood Topic: What's for eatin' ?  - Page 18 4033312719

You guys should tell me how you make that garlic bread.... it sounds delicious. 

reindeer lights
Tookie
Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by LDCrow Sun Dec 24 2017, 00:18

Fresh baked peanut butter cookies!   Seriously yummy with a cup of hot cocoa.

tea n cookies
LDCrow
LDCrow

Back to top Go down

Post by spotsbox Sat Jan 13 2018, 00:07

Wow, haven't been here in ages hmz2 .  Made it thru my annual cookie palooza (6 types of cookies, 3 types of bars, minimum 9 dozen each shock faint ).  Plus roughly 20 lbs. of jerky in 4 varieties, almost all of which is now gone, lol.  Only took 3 1/2 12-16 hour days.  Would have been faster, but husband was home and kept insisting I stop for totally unnecessary things like eating and sleeping off to bed .  For the first time in recent memory, had enough cookies to make cookie tins for everyone on the list, with lots left over.  Needless to say, my scale and I are not on speaking terms right now. weigh

Tookie, I've got an awesome tomato soup recipe if you'd like it.  My mother in law got it from one of the local restaurants years ago, and it is soooo good.  I don't like tomato soup generally speaking, but I love this stuff.  

GuineaUp, I also make apple butter, my husband loves it and I can cut the amount of sugar in the recipe by using Splenda brown sugar blend.  It smells divine while it's in the slow cooker, and never lasts very long before it's gone.  My recipe doesn't make much, about 2 jars, so it's not worth canning.  Some day I'm going to make a big batch and can it.  I like to use wild crab apples if I have time to spend peeling and coring them, or tart apples from the store otherwise.

Today we're having homemade chili, it's super cold and chili seemed appropriate.  Have the slow cooker going with goose stew for tomorrow. tasting   We're going to be gone all day, it will be nice to come home to dinner already made.
spotsbox
spotsbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Tookie Sun Jan 14 2018, 15:02

I would love the tomato soup recipe!! I luuuuv tomato soup! 

and look what I found! 

Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?  - Page 18 26231110
Tookie
Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum