Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?  - Page 19 Empty Re: Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?

Post by spotsbox Sun Jan 14 2018, 20:59

Great find, Tookie!  I constantly have to look up conversions when I'm cooking, can never remember them. scratch head  Stew turned out yummy, would never have guessed it wasn't beef if didn't know better.  Here's the recipe I promised!

4B's Old Fashioned Cream of Tomato Soup

32 ounces canned diced tomatoes
9 oz. chicken broth, undiluted
1 oz. butter
2 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. chopped onion
pinch baking soda
2 C cream

1.  Mix tomatoes, broth, butter, sugar, onions and baking soda.  Simmer 1 hour.
2.  Heat cream in double boiler
3.  Add cream to hot tomato mixture
4.  Ready to serve

A few notes; we like it a little thicker, so I usually simmer it a bit longer than the recipe calls for.  Make sure to stir it frequently, as it will scorch rather easily.  Also, I don't have a double boiler, so I just heat the cream in a pan, making sure to keep stirring so it doesn't scorch.  And once I add it to the main ingredients, I again cook it down a little to the consistency we prefer, but you don't have to, it's good either way.  I also add salt to taste while cooking, as the recipe doesn't add any.  I normally get one meal for 2 from a pot of this soup with no left overs, but to be fair we both love it and my husband always has seconds ghehe .  Now that I'm making it for dinners with dad in law too, I double the recipe, and have found it's better to cook it a little longer (medium low heat) when doing so to get the full flavor.  Oh, and I use Splenda sugar substitute instead of sugar, works fine if you need/want to watch sugar intake (we don't eat that much added sugar normally).  Hope you enjoy it, it's a great comfort meal, especially in the colder days of winter. kissy
spotsbox
spotsbox

Back to top Go down

Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?  - Page 19 Empty Re: Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?

Post by Tookie Mon Jan 15 2018, 00:53

recipe saved. Thank you! 

I'm not sure when I can try it, but it goes into the save file. ;-)
Tookie
Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by baw815 Mon Jan 15 2018, 02:06

Cheap double boiler, my mother told me about this eons ago when I lived in an apartment alone.  

I was needing to melt chocolate, you can't put that on a stove directly, too hot.  Actually, anything too hot for your hand is too hot for chocolate.  Fill a sauce pan with water, like doing pasta or maybe less.  Size of pan depends on how much you need to heat in double boiler.  If you have metal mixing bowls those are best, but glass or your serving bowl from your dishes too.  After you have pan with water on stove, put bowl with, in my case, chocolate in it, on top of pan and proceed to melt the chocolate.
baw815
baw815

Back to top Go down

Post by agronomistPete Mon Jan 15 2018, 16:52

There is another kind of double boiler ?!?!?!   Lol, that is the only method I have ever used.
agronomistPete
agronomistPete

Back to top Go down

Post by baw815 Mon Jan 15 2018, 23:20

agronomistPete, they actually make a pot or should I say 2 pots that is a double boiler.  Go figure.
baw815
baw815

Back to top Go down

Post by agronomistPete Tue Jan 16 2018, 01:35

hmm, what will they think of next - lol.
agronomistPete
agronomistPete

Back to top Go down

Post by LDCrow Mon Feb 05 2018, 01:16

I've just laid out my Super Bowl spread and beat a hasty retreat from the TV room.   giggle
Watching a bunch of fully grown men eat and do this.. No! Why!  for the next 3 hours is not my idea of a good time.

Still I enjoy putting the spread together.   cooking It's always some form of food that would set most people on fire but my husband and brothers seem to be absolutely immune to.  Either that or they have all long since burned every taste bud out of their mouths.

This year it's it's a big pot of chili with beef taquitos on the side.  There is also hot cheese, salsa and chips.  For dessert it's one of my brother's birthday tomorrow so I made a German Chocolate cake, which is his favorite.  Once they wash all that down with beer and soda I will probably be passing out the tums and alka seltzer.   belly laugh
LDCrow
LDCrow

Back to top Go down

Post by AniE Mon Feb 05 2018, 14:35

All I seem to eat these days is ice cream cos it's sooo hot!
AniE
AniE

Back to top Go down

Post by spotsbox Mon Feb 05 2018, 23:19

We're a bit on the cool side these days, was below zero night before last and high right now is about 12 F.  cold  Plus about 6 inches of snow since last night.  But considering the summer we had last year, I'll take it.  sledding

LD, sounds like your guys had plenty to keep them fueled up for the big game ghehe .  Taquitos sound yummy, tho I've never made them.  Don't think I've ever eaten them, come to think about it, tho I like fajitas and enchiladas.  My husband and FIL like chili, so I've made quite a bit of that the last few months, tho our family is low heat.  One thing I've enjoyed since husband retired is learning to use fresh onions and garlic in my cooking, which I couldn't do before due to sensitive tummy.  We've discovered, tho, that as long as it's fresh and not powdered, I can use it without adverse effects, and I LOVE it!  And green pepper, too.

Finally made the viking meatballs last week I've been wanting to make since August.  They were so good!  I got 12 meatballs out of the recipe, and I was worried it wouldn't be enough for dinner (did a completely unhealthy but totally yummy fun night with the vikings, french fries, fried onions, and fried mushrooms, 'cause you know, you gotta eat your vegetables wink  big grin ), but only managed to eat 1 1/2, lol.  More surprisingly, husband only ate 2 1/2, partly because of all the side nom noms that helped fill us up, but mainly because they were very filling.  Definitely will be making them again.  Took the leftovers with us the next day and ate them while ice fishing, were good cold too, tho hot is definitely better.  Only bites we got, lol.  Tonight, chinese.  Tonight we feast, tomorrow we diet. hmz2
spotsbox
spotsbox

Back to top Go down

Post by LDCrow Wed Feb 07 2018, 19:33

Spots I do a lot of Tex-Mex cooking as you might imagine.  I have no desire to make a stuff that is simply HOT, rather I shoot for flavor with heat.  

My chili has a bit of front heat (what you feel in your mouth) but mostly it's all flavor and then when you're like 5 or 6 spoonfuls in you realize you've broken out in a sweat.  I make salsa that is similar although there is more front heat to it mostly it's about the taste and the longevity of heat.

That cream of tomato soup sounds lovely and I will try it, however I'm already thinking about emulsifying it and what kind of pepper I should add for a bit of kick.   giggle

I rarely make anything that doesn't have some level of spice to it.  If I do they all dump tabasco or louisianna hot sauce all over it anyway.  Which I will admit sometimes greatly annoys me.
LDCrow
LDCrow

Back to top Go down

Post by spotsbox Sun Apr 15 2018, 22:01

Wow, I didn't realize it had been so long since I'd been to this forum farmer .  I've missed it.  Definitely miss the smileys, lol.  

Sunday dinner with FIL, making a big pot of chili, yum!  Not too hot, tender tummies and all, but I add beef broth base & seasoning (I use Orrington Farms brand, really like it) to the burger while it browns, and maybe a little once the tomatoes and chili beans are simmering good, for a little extra flavor.  Can almost smell the grilled cheese sandwhiches now! drooling  Was going to make the tomato soup, but didn't have enough diced tomatoes, so settled for the chili.

I've been wanting to try that viking meatball recipe as a meatloaf, so last night I did it.  Just used burger and ground pork, skipped the ground veal, and of course no Krusteaz coating.  Mixed it all up, made a loaf instead of balls, and stuck it in the oven.  Even my husband said it's the best meatloaf I've ever made (not my best dish whistling ).
spotsbox
spotsbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Will*O*Wisp Mon Apr 16 2018, 22:23

Chili and grilled cheese - sounds yummy spots!  Glad you had success with the meatloaf. :)
Will*O*Wisp
Will*O*Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by puppiesnponies Tue Apr 17 2018, 14:29

We had soup and grilled cheese too. cooking eating
puppiesnponies
puppiesnponies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum