Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?  - Page 4 Empty Re: Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?

Post by annaquinn Sun Nov 20 2016, 21:57

Since I am gluten intolerant - I make a lovely tambouli with quinoa. eating
annaquinn
annaquinn

Back to top Go down

Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?  - Page 4 Empty Re: Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?

Post by Tookie Sun Nov 20 2016, 22:24

we too are both gluten intolerant! Not allergic, but gee do we get sick if we eat gluten. 

But we're only just starting to learn how to cook again. We're gluten free for over a year now, almost two I think, but the cooking part is hard for us. We do bake our daily bread, and boy does that taste ten-thousand times better than the store breads. (genius, yam...) 

We did try quinoa, we do like it, but it's not so yummy yet that we actually look forward to a quinoa meal.
Tookie
Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by hatzeva Sun Nov 20 2016, 22:46

Yepp, it's texture and not taste that does it.
hatzeva
hatzeva

Back to top Go down

Post by clonahmon Sun Nov 20 2016, 23:13

Good evening everybody,

Oh all your meals sound soo soo tasty!!!
Thanks for opening this thread tookie
again a big thanks to tookie and sleepy for this lovely place!!!

We changed our dinner choice for today.
No pork shoulder but

lamb leg steaks with green bean parcels and croquettes
Oh my gosh, that was tasty.

Today I harvested a big bowl of chilean guave berries.. almost a pound of them.
Think I will just toss them in our homemade joghurt and try a small batch of jam out of them. Hope it will be nice.

It's freezing cold here today and last night we have had the first frost.

I have never tried bulgur either. There is something in germany which is called "Graupen" and the look of it reminds me of it... yuck.. I hate "Graupen" can't remember the english name for it sorry.

I would love to have a nice recipe for salsa verde... The shop bought ones taste all almost the same.

Has somebody ever tried fried green tomatoes (actually tomatillos) ???

*running into the kitchen to get something to eat.
clonahmon
clonahmon

Back to top Go down

Post by mindy1701 Sun Nov 20 2016, 23:28

ding, ding, ding - Hatzeva has the answer - excellent. 
ok, I don't use a recipe for tabouleh, but here goes anyway:

1 cup medium grade bulgur wheat (you can use any grade you can find, but I like medium)
1 cup water
mix the two and let it stand for about an hour, until the water is all absorbed and wheat is softened.  I don't cook the bulgur as is traditionally done.  The texture is better just softened (Tookie might be able to eat this)

Make a dressing of fresh lemon juice, olive oil, chopped or grated fresh garlic to taste, a pinch of sugar (optional), dried basil (or mint if you prefer), freshly ground pepper and a microscopic amount of powdered mustard (if you have it, also optional).  Pour over the softened bulgur - the wheat will eventually absorb most of the dressing.

Now you can add anything you want, finely chopped.  I prefer tomatoes, cucumber and flat leaf Italian parsley.  In Turkey, the parsley would be mostly mint, but I don't like the strong minty freshness.  Mix into the dressed wheat.  Refrigerate.  The longer it sits, the better it gets - let the flavors meld together. 
If you like Feta cheese, add it when serving. 

Hope I didn't forget anything.  Again, this is my own tweaked version and not completely traditional.
mindy1701
mindy1701

Back to top Go down

Post by mindy1701 Sun Nov 20 2016, 23:36

oooo, Tookie - you might want to try the quinoa instead of the bulgur.  Don't want to make you two sick.

Clonahmon - I think graupen is pearled barley.  If you made tabouleh out of it, it would probably be pretty slimy and gross.
mindy1701
mindy1701

Back to top Go down

Post by clonahmon Sun Nov 20 2016, 23:54

@Mindy, you are absolutely right, it is barley :x
Your recipe for tabouleh sounds pretty nice. I think, i will definitely try it.
nomnomnomnomnom
clonahmon
clonahmon

Back to top Go down

Post by hatzeva Mon Nov 21 2016, 00:45

Mmmmh Mindy, got a free space around your table?   hungry
hatzeva
hatzeva

Back to top Go down

Post by mindy1701 Mon Nov 21 2016, 01:00

Yay Hatzeva, there's always room for friends.  love it
mindy1701
mindy1701

Back to top Go down

Post by escalonilla Mon Nov 21 2016, 01:33

I bought the other day a butternut squash for the first time.
I didn't see them in Spain and I like trying new thigns.

Didnt know what to do so I just diced and roasted it in the oven with some olive oil, cumin, pepper and salt.
Then I cooked some bacon, onion, carrots and peas and mixed all together.

I'll have it tomorrow for lunch
escalonilla
escalonilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Tookie Mon Nov 21 2016, 10:02

I think quinoa instead of wheat... indeed!  NodYes

Esca, You must let us know if it was yummy! I never tried butternut squash either yet
Tookie
Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by cylentlea123 Mon Nov 21 2016, 15:11

spotsbox wrote:I've been using my crock pot quite a bit lately, made cherry dump cake last week, to go with my first ever pot roast (turned out quite well, I was pleased big grin).  I also made stew, which lasted a whole 2 meals, lol, and chicken and dumplings, and plan on making some split pea soup for this weekend -

Spots- I have been using my crock pot a lot lately too.
I also made split pea soup with ham in mine.  It came out so good.
I am interested in 2 of your recipes...cherry dump cake and chicken and dumplngs.
I LOVE chicken and dumplings but I can never make it right.
The dumplings always fall apart and disappear into the soup LOL
I am a fairly good cook but that is one thing I have never been able to make.
Please help
cylentlea123
cylentlea123

Back to top Go down

Post by spotsbox Mon Nov 21 2016, 16:57

Sure thing Lea! wink  The cherry dump cake is simple, just need 2 cans of cherry pie filling, a box of yellow cake mix, and 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (no margarine substitute).  Dump the pie filling in your crock pot.  Melt the butter, then mix it in with the cake mix, combining until crumbly.  Dump butter/cake mix over the top of the cherry filling, spread evenly.  Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours, or HIGH for 2 hours.  Simple, and really good, the smell while it cooks is divine  drooling .  My husband likes to eat it warm, but it's just as good cold.  I've also used white cake mix when I didn't have yellow, and it was good too.  Apple pie filling can be used instead of cherry if preferred.

I found the chicken and dumpling recipe online, and it's super easy. I've copied it from the webite I got it from and am posting it as written:

Recipe instructions

• Rinse chicken under cool water and place it in the slow cooker with the butter, both cans of cream of chicken soup, diced onion and chicken broth. Stir to just combine, cover turn the slow cooker on high and cook for 4−4½ hours. Or if you want this to be waiting for you at the end of your work day, cook it on low for 8 hours. There’s no need to stir or chop the chicken—just put the first 5 ingredients in the slow cooker and let it do the work.
  • After about 4 hours, remove the lid and use a wooden spoon to stir and loosen everything from the sides and the bottom of the pot. Use the wooden spoon to break the chicken into chunks or press the chicken against the side of the pot to shred it if you prefer. The chicken should be very tender and come apart easily.
  • At this point, you will stir in the celery and carrots (or whatever vegetables you like). Replace the lid and allow the vegetables to begin to cook while you prepare the dumplings.
  • Pop open the cans of those homestyle buttermilk biscuits. Roll each piece of biscuit in flour to coat it completely. The flour will help thicken the stew. Drop the coated biscuits into the slow cooker on top of the stew. Space the dumplings out as evenly as you can but inevitably, a few of them will end up on top of each other. Once all of the dumplings have been placed in the pot, use your wooden spoon to dunk each one into the hot stew and try to situate the dumplings so they are as evenly spaced as possible.
  • Cover with the lid once again and allow biscuits to cook for about an hour. Once they are cooked through, it’s time to eat, and eat well!

I do modify the recipe somewhat to suit us (I add frozen corn instead of celery, and sometimes sliced mushrooms.  I may or may not decide to add carrots, but it's fine either way.  And I don't use an entire onion, unless it's a really small one.  I also add rotisserie chicken seasoning and salt to the flour before I coat the biscuits.  Oh, and I use a family size can of soup rather than 2 smaller cans).  One thing to keep in mind is the sauce tends to soak in to the biscuits the longer it sits, so if you like your chicken and dumplings with lots of sauce, maybe experiment with the amount of biscuits you use, or add an extra can (small size) of soup.  Hope you enjoy it!

Been looking forward to tonight's dinner all week - making Philly Cheese Steaks, yumyumyum! hungry
spotsbox
spotsbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Tookie Mon Nov 21 2016, 17:34

I never knew what a philly cheese steak was. I was imagining this big t bone steak, with cheese on it... 
thud
Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?  - Page 4 Campos10
Tookie
Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by mingling Mon Nov 21 2016, 17:41

Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?  - Page 4 Downlo10

beef on weck (also known as beef on wick) is a sandwich found primarily in Western New York. It is made with roast beef on a kummelweck roll. The meat on the sandwich is traditionally served rare, thin cut, with the top bun getting a dip au jus and topped with horseradish.

I live on these, homemade now, but grew up odering these alomost daily delish, not a big fan of the filly, but these ummmm
mingling
mingling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum