Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?  - Page 5 Empty Re: Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?

Post by CaliChrome Mon Nov 21 2016, 18:11

Have you heard of this one Tookie?

Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?  - Page 5 Th?id=OIP.Mae3bef5e1618f24fe5ed96485f7e0922o0&pid=15    Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?  - Page 5 Th?id=OIP.Mc01ee026750598f7b2f3636ddbf0b393o0&pid=15
CaliChrome
CaliChrome

Back to top Go down

Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?  - Page 5 Empty Re: Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?

Post by Tookie Mon Nov 21 2016, 18:17

Nope! never heard of them.  hmz2  tasting

@Ming, that looks delicious!!!!!  drooling
Tookie
Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by spotsbox Mon Nov 21 2016, 18:38

A Philly is similar to what ming's describing: thin sliced steak, sliced onions, sliced green peppers, a little salt and pepper, some garlic (I use the stuff you get in a squeeze bottle), and lots of cheese, served on a hoagie or roll of your choice frying .  The recipe I have calls for white American cheese, but I love to mix both the white and regular American together.  Super easy to make, and a good dinner for a night when you want something quick.Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?  - Page 5 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-a5OxbUlbz5WimmZGT3utnKIoSkgVGJLtseiWVJ524bZVa5fA
spotsbox
spotsbox

Back to top Go down

Post by mingling Mon Nov 21 2016, 18:54

Yeah, the filly is great, I like the small twist, more hoogie from the fairs, cook the onions, and the peppers in a olive fusion that goes with the steak, for me fresh pealed mushrooms cooked down, added on white cheese let melt and wow, I do like myself!

It's in the rub, for both, Long ago when my house was huge, I got a pro. slicer, the best thing I ever did. Now I can take a slab of what ever meat, make my meat rubs to perfection for the meal, and cheaply slice as needed. Here pre cut roastbeef 12 dollars a pound on sale, slab of beef, 3.95 on sale, yeah can eat like a king, as spotsbox says nice and quick.
mingling
mingling

Back to top Go down

Post by cylentlea123 Mon Nov 21 2016, 19:23

I love philly cheesesteak!
And Ming that sandwich looks to die for
Mmmm  y'all are making me very hungry!! 
I'm Drooling looking at the pictures..   cooking

I think these pics need to be put in a spoiler- they are not good for my waistline LOLOL
(just kidding)

@spotsbox- I have the cherry dumpcake ready to go in the crockpot TODAY~~ Thank you :)
cylentlea123
cylentlea123

Back to top Go down

Post by LDCrow Mon Nov 21 2016, 20:09

Good thing I ate before coming here to read this thread.  big grin Yummy!

I will certainly post my Salsa Verde recipe but I don't know it off the top of my head so I will look it up and post it later.

As for chicken and dumplings well I'm from the south and I make this a lot.  There are two kinds of dumplings one that are sort of like noodle dough and the other are light fluffy puffs of dough.  I cook the fluffy kind.  I also happen to make a creamy chicken soup base but I've seen it made just broth style.  I of course prefer mine but it would be kind of weird if I didn't.

I don't make the soup from a written recipe just from the one in my head but I will try to talk through it for you.

My family prefers dark meat so I use leg quarters or thighs but you can use white or even a whole chicken if you like.  This is based on 4 leg quarters using a 5 quart stew pot.

Trim excess fat off of chicken but leave some skin for flavor.  Put in stew pot and cover with water.  Add a tsp of salt and pepper, 1/4 tsp of ground cumin, 1/4 tsp ground marjoram, one large bay leaf, one Tbsp of dried minced onion, 2 cubes of chicken bouillon and one clove of garlic.  Cover and cook on low heat a couple of hours or until the chicken is very tender.  Remove from heat.

Edit:  I knew I forgot something... Add one stalk chopped celery to ingredients in pot prior to cooking.

Take the chicken out of the broth and remove and discard skin and bones.  Meat should very tender and should come off the bones easily.  Loosely chop meat into small pieces if needed and set aside.

Remove and discard the bay leaf and garlic clove.  Skim excess fat from the surface of the broth.

Bring the broth to a boil and add in frozen vegetables.  ( I happen to use frozen mixed veggies since I'm usually making this in winter and don't have fresh.  I've also just used frozen peas and carrots.)  Cook about 10 minutes until veggies are done.  Add your meat. Lower temp to lowest setting and add milk about a cup.  I honestly do this from sight but a cup is a good estimate.  Heat through but do not boil and add salt and pepper to taste.

To thicken the broth:  in a measuring cup put two Tbsp flour and add cold water while stirring with a fork.  Mixture should be smooth not lumpy.  Once broth is hot then stir it in slowly.  DO NOT add to cold broth or it will form lumps.  This will slightly thicken the broth you can always add more if you want it thicker.

Dumplings:  I basically use my biscuit recipe for this.

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and pour in milk and oil together.  Fold in fluid gently only till all flour is incorporated.  (dough will be sticky)

Your broth should be hot (not boiling) and thickened to your liking.  Drop spoon fulls of dough on the surface.  I use a serving spoon for dumplings about 2 inches across.  Cover and let cook for 10 minutes.  Do not stir or boil as this will cause your dumplings to break up.

I cook the dumplings in batches and only cook as many as will be eaten.  If you have any left over dough you can simply spoon it out onto a floured surface and cut into biscuits.  Put them on an oiled pan and bake at 400 for 20 minutes. 

Dumplings do not make good leftovers if you have those left take them out of the soup and either discard or feed to the dog.  dog lick
LDCrow
LDCrow

Back to top Go down

Post by GuineaUp Mon Nov 21 2016, 20:16

good post cooking drooling
GuineaUp
GuineaUp

Back to top Go down

Post by LDCrow Mon Nov 21 2016, 22:11

Salsa Verde:  This makes roughly 9 pints of Salsa (around 4 liters?) you can of course reduce it if you want less.

All ingredients are chopped fine using a food processor prior to measurement.

7 cups tomatillos
4 1/2 cups green chilis (remove seeds as they will make the sauce bitter)
2 large yellow onions
12 garlic cloves
1 large serrano - optional this will add a bit of heat.  You can substitute another pepper if you want it hotter or leave it out all together if you like

Saute- onions and garlic in olive oil until onions are clear. (this is important if you are canning this as onions need to be cooked very well or they can cause spoilage.)

In a small saucepan heat the following:
1/2 cup vinegar
3 1/2 cups water
2 Tbsp lime juice

Add your tomatillos and chilis into your cooked onions and garlic and add the following:

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground oregano
1 Tbsp salt

Stir together and add your heated vinegar mixture.  Simmer over a low heat for at least 1 hour.  Low heat and frequent stirring is important to keep it from sticking to the pan and burning.

At this point if you want a smooth juice like sauce you can cool it slightly and either use an emulsifier or put it through a blender until smooth.  Return it to your pan and cook an additional hour.

If you leave it chunky cook it an additional hour as is.  If you are going to can it then cool it completely and refrigerate it overnight prior to canning.  You can also freeze it rather than can it if you prefer.
I use it for enchiladas, eggs, chicken, fish and if left chunky it's good with tortilla chips.  tasting
LDCrow
LDCrow

Back to top Go down

Post by CaliChrome Mon Nov 21 2016, 22:21

Why do you chill it before canning?  While I haven't helped Mom make Salsa Verde, I have helped with regular Salsa and she cans it immediately.  (Then she hides it away before we can make off with any.)  RUN
CaliChrome
CaliChrome

Back to top Go down

Post by LDCrow Mon Nov 21 2016, 22:29

Cali does she use a pressure cooker to can her regular salsa?  I can mine that way and it goes raw into the jars and cooker cooks and seals it.

For this since I'm cooking it on the stove top chilling it 24 hours and then reheating it to can just adds an extra layer of protection to preserving it.  Basically you cook it again to get it up to the heat level required for straight to jar canning.  In other words I'm being anal about it but then again I sell this stuff so it's good to make sure you don't give your customers food poisoning.  ghehe
LDCrow
LDCrow

Back to top Go down

Post by CaliChrome Mon Nov 21 2016, 23:01

Ah!  Selling!  That's the magic word.  No we just use the hot water bath but I know she is careful about the time on them.  No selling on her part.  We barely get to see any as gifts!  I do however know where the tomatoes come from and how fresh they are as she goes next door to my sister's greenhouse to pick them herself.  BIL makes his own compost and has an automatic watering system in the greenhouse.  I'm a bit green envy as they get great harvests while I struggle to get anything.  I contribute onions from my garden as that seems to be what the gophers won't touch.  Thinking next year will be only onions in the garden.  Maybe then the gophers will find somewhere else to live.   :rolling on flo

I did manage a great year on plums so I've traded plum preserves for salsa.  The only way I could get more than one pint.
CaliChrome
CaliChrome

Back to top Go down

Post by Clash Tue Nov 22 2016, 02:42

Wow, now I really want chicken and dumplings.... drooling  Not just any chicken and dumplings but specifically yours LDC.  Don't you live just a couple hours from me?   giggle

I'm fortunate not to have issues with gluten.  I deal with an allergy to citric acid and MSG already so I don't need anymore diet restrictions.

I need to go eat dinner this thread has totally made me famished.  hungry
Clash
Clash

Back to top Go down

Post by CaliChrome Tue Nov 22 2016, 03:48

Clash, my Dad was allergic to citric acid.  He didn't develop the allergy until he was in his 20s.  He really loved strawberries and tomatoes but he would get terrible mouth ulcers from them.  I grew up reading labels and learning the difference between Citric Acid and Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C).  Thankfully his favorite Root Beer, A&W, didn't use Citric Acid (many sodas do).  We grew low acid tomatoes and used ground up Vitamin C in jellies, etc. instead of Citric Acid or Lemon Juice when the recipes called for it.
CaliChrome
CaliChrome

Back to top Go down

Post by Clash Tue Nov 22 2016, 04:12

Cali, I also didn't develop it until my early 20's.  You would think the mouth ulcers would have been my first clue but nope I ignored it till I had a full blown ulcer, at 22.  I can get away with the occasional strawberry or bing cherry (I love both) but raw tomatoes are a no go and I have to use low acid ones to cook with.  The toughest one is pineapple, I can't have it in any form not cooked or even in low amounts.  The MSG is also hard as they slip it into lots of stuff now days.  I just have to be super careful and read labels on anything that's prepackaged.
Clash
Clash

Back to top Go down

Post by CaliChrome Tue Nov 22 2016, 05:15

I understand what you are going through.  Thankfully there are now Chinese food restaurants that advertise "No MSG".  Of course, you still have to avoid those citrus dishes.

Have you tried Oxheart (pink), yellow pear (cherry type tomato) or any orange tomatoes?  Are their acid levels also too high in a raw form? 

I've also seen a yellow wonder strawberry advertised although I can't find if it is low acid. 

Dad found that kiwi fruit worked for him for strawberry type flavor without the acid level that would cause him problems.

Just an FYI, he became more tolerant of Citric Acid later in his life.  Maybe eventual hope for you?
CaliChrome
CaliChrome

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum